Orem identified 5 methods to provide nursing assistance:
- Providing direct services in the form of nursing actions
- Provide direction and facilitate the client's ability to meet needs independently.
- Provide physical and psychological boost to be able to develop a potential client, so it can perform maintenance on their own.
- Provide and maintain an environment that supports personal development clients to increase independence in care.
- Teach clients about the procedures and other aspects of the action that the client can perform self-care independently.
Orem defines five areas of nursing practice activities:
- Fostering and maintaining good nurse-client relationship of individuals, families or groups up to the clients home.
- Determine the condition of clients who require nursing assistance.
- Responds to requests, wishes and needs of clients and contacts will help caregivers.
- Establish, provide and regulate aid directly to the client.
- Coordinate and integrate nursing care with daily activities of clients, other health care, provision of social services and education needed or being received.